NOAA’s Updated Atlantic Hurricane Outlook

Today, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued its updated Atlantic Hurricane Outlook.  Consistent with the update issued by Phil Klotzbach and Bill Gray earlier this week, NOAA has lowered its projections due, in part, to the developing El Niño.  NOAA is now predicting a “50 percent probability of a near-normal season, a 40 percent probability of a below-normal season, and a 10 percent probability of an above-normal season.  Forecasters say there is a 70 percent chance of seven to 11 named storms, of which three to six could become hurricanes, including one to two major hurricanes.”

That may seem like a lot of uncertainty given the range of named storms and hurricanes and the attached probabilities.  However, this is consistent with the National Research Council publication “Completing the Forecast: Characterizing and Communicating Uncertainty for Better Decisions Using Weather and Climate Forecasts.”  The report states “Uncertainty is thus a fundamental characteristic of weather, seasonal climate, and hydrological prediction, and no forecast is complete without a description of its uncertainty.”  We may want a deterministic forecast, but the state of the science suggests it is not possible to do so with a high degree of reliability.

NOAA wisely cautions the public not to let its guard down.  Significant hurricanes have made landfall in the United States during El Niño years.  Examples include Betsy in 1965, Bob in 1991, Danny in 1997, and Lili in 2002.

NOAA’s past hurricane season outlooks and verifications can be found at http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane-archive.shtml.

Advertisements

One thought on “NOAA’s Updated Atlantic Hurricane Outlook

  1. I think the E-PAC tropical sector is starting to really pick up now since we have our first Major Hurricane going on. Hopefully it will weaken before it hits Hawaii. Do you have any predictions on that? Thanks for posting this blog, it is very helpful information.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s